Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Crown of Midnight | Book Review!

Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas

⭐⭐⭐⭐



Description from the Author

“A line that should never be crossed is about to be breached.
It puts this entire castle in jeopardy—and the life of your friend.”

From the throne of glass rules a king with a fist of iron and a soul as black as pitch. Bold, daring, and lethal, assassin Celaena Sardothien won the brutal contest to become his Champion. Yet Celaena is far from loyal to the crown. She hides her secret vigilantly; she knows that the man she serves is bent on evil.

Keeping up the deadly charade becomes increasingly difficult when Celaena realizes she is not the only one seeking justice. As she tries to untangle the mysteries buried deep within the glass castle, her closest relationships suffer. It seems no one is above questioning her allegiances—not the Crown Prince Dorian; not Chaol, the Captain of the Guard; not even her best friend, Nehemia, a foreign princess with a rebel heart.

Then, an unspeakable tragedy shatters Celaena’s world. She must decide once and for all where her loyalties lie . . . and whom she will fight for.

My Review
Page Count: 418
Genre: YA Fantasy
Series: Throne of Glass, Book 2
CW: violence, sensual scenes, mild profanity

HOLY CRAP THIS WAS SO GOOD! I enjoyed this more than the first book, Throne of Glass. The beginning of the book started off a bit slow for my taste, but it picked up quickly. There is a lot more action and character development in this novel. The plot really progressed as Celaena's story unfolds.

I wasn't a huge fan of Dorian in Throne of Glass, but he grew a lot in Crown of Midnight. I love the friendship that has developed between him and Celaena, and I look forward to seeing how it grows in the following books. 

I LOVED Chaol in this installment! He was genuine and really grew as a character. I loved seeing his internal thoughts and what drives him. 

Celaena grew as well, but not as much as I would have liked. However, she is dealing with a lot of heavy stuff in this book, so I understand why it is taking her longer. She has suffered through some horrible events in her life, and they are beginning to be revealed in Crown of Midnight. Celaena did get on my nerves at times because she is stubborn and strong-willed, wanting to protect the people she loves. I understand her motivations, but it was frustrating to watch. 

The death in this book broke my heart, and the ending was a HUGE info bomb. I had to get my hands on Heir of Fire immediately after finishing Crown of Midnight. I plan on filming a more in depth review of this video for my BookTube channel.

0 comments:

Post a Comment