Monday, November 5, 2018

October 2018 Wrap-Up!

Overall I read 34 books in October and reviewed 12. Most of the books I read this month were children's books for my graduate Children's Literature class through the University of Kentucky. 


The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater - ⭐⭐⭐⭐

"The head is too wise. The heart is all fire.”


I was kind of underwhelmed by the first book in this series, The Raven Boys, but I am really glad that I kept reading. I honestly think that the first book was more of an introduction to set up the plot and the MANY twists and turns to come. 


Maggie Stiefvater's writing is poetic, subtle, and takes some getting used to, and before you know it you are completely attached to the protagonists. The romance build up was perfect, and it wasn't the main focus of the plot, which I appreciated. The Raven Boys really do capture your heart. It reminds me of the quote from The Fault In Our Stars, "I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once." At first I wasn't sure if I would like them, but once I started reading The Dream Thieves, I began to love them. By the time I got to The Raven King, I was hopelessly invested in the story! I love that it is about friendship and magic. 



“He was a book, and he was holding his final pages, and he wanted to get to the end to find out how it went, and he didn't want it to be over.” 

“What a strange constellation they all were.” 






Caraval by Stephanie Garber - ⭐⭐

I was really excited about this book, so I am sad to say that this book fell a little flat for me. I started this book, got about halfway through, then put it down. I picked it back up again about a month later. The story started out well, and I was invested. However, once Scarlett got to Caraval, the story began to slow down. 

The characters were just OK. I was into the story at some points, but not others.The main romance didn't have enough chemistry. I wanted them to end up together, but after a certain plot twist and the ending, I could have gone either way. There was a potential for a love triangle that wasn't fleshed out but was hinted at, and then the third character ended up liking someone else. The father was very extreme and over the top with his behavior, which didn't match the rest of the character development. The sister, Tella, got on my nerves and came across as immature and naive. 

The magic system was also OK. There wasn't much explanation as to how the magic actually worked, and the limitations weren't clear. I think I would have been more invested in the story if the magic system had been more developed because I do think that the idea of Caraval is an interesting one. 

I will probably continue with the series, mostly because I already purchased the second book, Legendary. I hope Tella is not the focus of the second book. I would really like to see Scarlett's story fleshed out and developed. Overall, I found this to be an average book for a YA audience. I enjoyed some parts of the story, but this will most likely not be a re-read for me in the future. 


On Thin Icing by Ellie Alexander - ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Ellie Alexander has become one of my favorite cozy mystery authors. I really love her characters, and she has painted a very vivid picture of Ashland, Oregon and Torte. I didn't find this one as predictable as other cozy mysteries. This book was more relationship centered than the first two Bakeshop Mysteries, but I really didn't mind that. 


However, despite how much I loved this book, I was not a huge fan of the underlying Carlos plot. I wanted there to be more tension, even though I do think that this will be played out more in the next book or two. Carlos also seems like the stereotypical, almost perfect, Latin lover. Everything he does is sensual or romantic, and everyone likes him. I would enjoy Carlos more if he had more flaws so that he would seem like more of a real person. There is some controversy that is touched on, but we don't really get the full story. 


One bone I had to pick with this plot is that the murder occurs outside of Ashland, Oregon; however, the Ashland detectives, Thomas and the Professor, are the ones who show up and handle the case. This wasn't realistic for me because technically it seems like a jurisdictional issue. This could easily be addressed with a small explanation within the story. 


Even though I had a few critiques, I really did enjoy On Thin Icing. It was a fast, light-hearted read, and I am looking forward to diving straight into the next book, Caught Bread Handed!





Ace of Shades by Amanda Foody - ⭐⭐⭐⭐


I read most of this book by listening to the audio book. The narrator is Saskia Maarleveld. I found the narrator to be very enjoyable to listen to, and it was easy to differentiate the characters. 

Amanda Foody's writing style is very descriptive and easy to follow. She made the city of New Reynes come alive because the history and atmosphere are so rich. She also includes excellent context clues for idioms and phrases from New Reynes, so it is easy to figure out what the characters mean. The world building in this novel is excellent. 

The magic system in this book is unique. Each person is gifted with two talents based on their family names (one from each parent). The talents are varied, from dancing to aura reading to counting/arithmetic. It was interesting to learn about which talents are associated with which family as well as how the family are cast in the class system. 

The character development in this novel is excellent. The characters are very realistic with very human flaws. Enne, the protagonist, grows a lot as a character throughout the novel. Levi is not the typical "bad boy," but he does toe the moral line at times. I love that Amanda Foody wrote Levi as a man that can be manly but also fragile and sensitive. Vianca was also an interesting character. As the dom of a crime family, I expected her to be completely ruthless and cliche, but she was more subtle with her ruthless role, especially combined with her talent. 

Overall I really enjoyed this book. Some facts of the story could have been a bit more fleshed out, but this was a very minor issue for me because I loved the story so much. It ended on a wonderful cliffhanger, and I cannot wait to read the next book, King of Fools!





Eclair and Present Danger by Laura Bradford - ⭐⭐⭐⭐

This is a cute start to this series. I really liked the characters, and I can definitely relate to Winnie. My only "complaint" is that this seemed to be less mystery focused and more focused on Winnie's business and romantic relationships. The end was very rushed and concluded quickly. 



P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han - ⭐⭐⭐

I listened to the audiobook on Scribd for the first half of the book. I really enjoy Laura Knight Keating's narration style. She really captures the voice of Lara Jean. This was a quick, easy read, and the story was cute. The plot of the story centers around the aftermath of a whirlwind romance, which doesn't happen too often in contemporary novels. 

This is a sweet, fluffy contemporary, so I didn't go into it thinking it would be a fantastic, five-star book. It definitely would appeal more to teenagers, and Lara Jean is so innocent that you love her and get irritated with her naivety at the same time. The family dynamic is wonderful to read about, though. I really enjoyed reading about a family headed by a single father, and the relationships between the father and his daughters is really beautiful and reminds me of my relationship with my dad. The Song sisters are supportive of each other, confide in each other, and have a strong relationship. 

I wasn't a fan of Peter in the first book, but I was ok with the way it ended. However, Peter really got on my nerves in this story, and I wanted Lara Jean to break up with him and go with the other love interest that was introduced in this book. Peter comes across as the typical jock jerk and, even though he and Lara Jean promised to be open and honest with each other, he hid a lot. I REALLY liked the love interest introduced in this book, but I do think that he was "overly good" compared to Peter, who is definitely depicted as more of a jerk. That being said, I still want Lara Jean to dump Peter. I think I would like him more if he were written in a way that better suited Lara Jean. 

Even though there is a lot of roller coaster relationships and drama in this book, it came across as authentic because they are teenagers. Kitty became kind of a kick-butt girl in this novel, and I really enjoyed her character growth. Lara Jean also grew a lot in this book. I cannot wait to read the next book. 





A Very Large Expanse of Sea by Tahereh Mafi - ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐


First of all, I LOVE OCEAN! 

This is an own voices novel that follows Shirin, a teenage Muslim American, who is dealing with the aftermath of 9/11. I was really excited to read this because so much of Tahereh Mafi's life is depicted in this novel: break dancing, interracial relationships, xenophobia, racism, bullying, etc. It was definitely eye-opening and thought-provoking. 

I knew that the aftermath of 9/11 was hard for Muslim Americans, but it really broke my heart to read about it in this book. Tahereh Mafi's writing is raw, funny, heart-breaking, and consuming. 

This book is so, so necessary, and it is one of my favorite releases of 2018. GO CHECK IT OUT NOW!



Always and Forever, Lara Jean by Jenny Han
⭐⭐⭐⭐


I liked this book a lot more than P.S. I Still Love You. The character development really grew in this book, and Lara Jean grew a lot as a person. The family dynamics in this book are wonderful, and I enjoy reading about a happy home. 



Always and Forever, Lara Jean deals with real teenage issues, such as college, long-distance relationships, growing apart, and finding yourself. Lara Jean has to deal with rejection as well as learn how to balance life at home and life at school. 



I appreciated that the author took a more mature approach with Lara Jean in this book. Her relationship troubles are more realistic, and the relationships weren't all sweet smiles and immature issues. This was a very satisfying and enjoyable conclusion in the Lara Jean trilogy. Lara Jean's and Peter's relationship went to a new level, and I enjoyed Peter a lot more than in the last book. He really matured in this novel. 



The narrator for the audiobook, Laura Knight Keating, is very enjoyable to listen to, and she captures Lara Jean perfectly. Go check it out!



An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐


Sabaa Tahir is an amazing author. She illustrates a love for her characters in the way she writes them, and the world she has created is raw, brutal, and dark. From the very beginning, this story drew me in, and I was on the edge of my seat until the very end. Laia and Elias are flawed but lovable characters, and they both grow exponentially throughout the book. The Commandant is extremely cruel, but very believable. 



This is a story that broke my heart in parts and made my heart soar in others, and it will stay with me for a long time. I cannot wait to start the second book, A Torch Against the Night, because, man, that cliffhanger! 



From Twinkle, With Love by Sandhya Menon
⭐⭐⭐⭐


This was a fun, sweet YA contemporary! I love that Twinkle is an aspiring filmmaker, a field in which there is a significant lack of diversity. Twinkle grows a lot in this book, and I enjoyed watching the journey she takes. Sandhya Menon has become one of my favorite YA authors, and I cannot wait to read her next book!











The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐


I am in love with this book! I wasn't expecting to connect with Molly so much. There was an authenticity to Molly's narration that reminded me very much of how I felt and acted as a socially awkward teenager, and I think that many readers will be able to relate to the characters. Molly is chubby and has many insecurities. She grew a lot in this novel, and I found myself actually squealing and cheering for her throughout the book. 

The representation in this book is fantastic! Molly has two lesbian moms who have been together for a very long time and are happy. Cassie's new girlfriend is Korean-American and pansexual, and there are also African-American and Jewish characters. All are represented in a very positive, welcoming light. 

Becky Albertalli has a gift for describing emotions authentically and in a way that captures readers. Her writing is laugh-out-loud hilarious, relatable, and fun. The narrator, Arielle DeLisle, did an excellent job narrating this book. She captured the characters perfectly. 

Please, please, go read this book now! 

“I don’t entirely understand how anyone gets a boyfriend. Or a girlfriend. It just seems like the most impossible odds. You have to have a crush on the exact right person at the exact right moment. And they have to like you back. A perfect alignment of feelings and circumstances. It’s almost unfathomable that it happens as often as it does.” 
“Because I have to admit: there's something really badass about truly, honestly not caring what people think about you.” 

“There’s just something terrifying about admitting you like someone. In a way, it’s actually easier when there’s no chance of anything happening. But there’s this threshold where things suddenly become possible. And then your cards are on the table. And there you are, wanting, right out in the open.” 
 “Even if he likes me, I’m not sure he’d like me naked. I hate that I’m even thinking that. I hate hating my body. Actually, I don’t even hate my body. I just worry everyone else might. Because chubby girls don’t get boyfriends, and they definitely don’t have sex. Not in movies—not really—unless it’s supposed to be a joke. And I don’t want to be a joke.” 
“So, maybe I should let my heart break, just to prove that my heart can take it.” 
ONE OF MY FAVORITE QUOTES: “I'm on the toilet at the 9:30 Club and I'm wondering how mermaids pee.” 

Royals by Rachel Hawkins

⭐⭐⭐

I was expecting this to be a cute, fun, fluffy read, and I was not disappointed. Daisy and her adventures in Scotland are hilarious, and the characters are a lot of fun. I didn't have high expectations for this book, so I was pleasantly surprised at how much fun I had reading it. 

I know there are unrealistic aspects to this book, and yes, the characters could have been fleshed out and developed more, but I was in the mood for something light, so these shortcomings didn't bother me. If you are looking for a happy book, this is it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment