Thursday, November 8, 2018

Caught Bread Handed - Book Review

Caught Bread Handed by Ellie Alexander

⭐⭐⭐⭐

Description from the Author

Jules Capshaw is still chewing over her husband Carlos’s return to Ashland, Oregon. Could there be too many cooks in the kitchen? Whatever is stirring between those two will have to wait. Despite the Oregon Shakespeare Festival being dark for the winter, the bakeshop is bustling, the dough is rolling, and there’s no rest for the weary…especially when murder is thrown into the mix.

When Mindy Nolan, the owner of a new restaurant in town, turns up dead, the batter at hand thickens. Jules knows there was bad blood between Mindy and others in town, and tracking down the killer could prove to be an unwelcome treat. And to top it all off, there’s Carlos who is pleading–with those delicious dark eyes and sexy Spanish accent–to take him back. Is home where the heart is or will she make a fresh start…and risk getting burned?




My Review
Page Count: 320 pgs.
Genre: Cozy Mystery
Series: Bakeshop Mysteries, Book 4

Ellie Alexander has become one of my absolute favorite cozy mystery authors, and this book did not disappoint! I usually don't binge read series, but I have for this one! 

The murder in this book wove in seamlessly with the events of the story. Jules bounced back a little from her uncertainty in On Thin Icing, and it was so nice to see her with more confidence. Carlos got on my nerves a little in the last book, but I liked him a lot more this time. He wasn't as stereotypical. Ellie Alexander portrays Ashland, Oregon in a vivid, positive light that makes me want to visit! 

Do yourself a favor and check out this book!

Other Books in the Bakeshop Mystery Series 



This book is set in Ashland, Oregon in the Pacific Northwest. This setting was one of the reasons that I was drawn to this book. Ellie Alexander also writes as Kate E. Dyer-Seeley, and the mysteries she writes under that pen name all take place in the Pacific Northwest. Ashland feels like a cozy little town, which is perfect for this cozy mystery. 

The action starts quickly, and, as with most cozies, readers can easily guess who is going to get murdered. We get a glimpse of Nancy Hudson's nastiness, which provides many people with a motive for murder. 

What I Enjoyed: 

  • Juliet "Jules" Capshaw is a very likable protagonist. She is down to earth and has flaws. She is also not too nosy. 
  • The setting. Torte sounds like a very cozy, family style bakery, and I enjoyed reading about Jules' baking. 
  • The plot. The story was engaging, and I didn't get bored at any point in the story. 
  • The characters were realistic, and I loved that Ellie Alexander was able to bring out their personalities so well. 
Overall, this is a quick, fun cozy mystery. Ellie Alexander is one of my favorite cozy authors.



This is a quick, fast-paced cozy mystery, and I really enjoyed it!

What I Enjoyed: 
  • The plot. I liked that there was a baking contest, and the contestants and their big personalities really added to the story. 
  • Jules. Her sleuthing is just right. She isn't too nosy, and I enjoyed her style of investigating. 
  • The relationship between Jules and Thomas. They have a long history, and Ellie Alexander has done a good job of portraying their changed and amiable relationship with a hint of possible future romance. 
  • Lance. One word: adorable. 








Ellie Alexander has become one of my favorite cozy mystery authors. I really love her characters, and she has painted a very vivid picture of Ashland, Oregon and Torte. I didn't find this one as predictable as other cozy mysteries. This book was more relationship centered than the first two Bakeshop Mysteries, but I really didn't mind that. 

However, despite how much I loved this book, I was not a huge fan of the underlying Carlos plot. I wanted there to be more tension, even though I do think that this will be played out more in the next book or two. Carlos also seems like the stereotypical, almost perfect, Latin lover. Everything he does is sensual or romantic, and everyone likes him. I would enjoy Carlos more if he had more flaws so that he would seem like more of a real person. There is some controversy that is touched on, but we don't really get the full story. 

One bone I had to pick with this plot is that the murder occurs outside of Ashland, Oregon; however, the Ashland detectives, Thomas and the Professor, are the ones who show up and handle the case. This wasn't realistic for me because technically it seems like a jurisdictional issue. This could easily be addressed with a small explanation within the story. 

Even though I had a few critiques, I really did enjoy On Thin Icing. It was a fast, light-hearted read, and I am looking forward to diving straight into the next book, Caught Bread Handed!

0 comments:

Post a Comment