Monday, April 30, 2018

Diverse YA Literature Resource Guide


I am currently enrolled in a Young Adult Literature course and had to build a thematic resource guide/database for  theme of my choosing. I chose to focus on diverse young adult fantasy literature for the Thematic Resource Guide assignment. Young adult fantasy is one of my favorite genres, and it is extremely popular right now. Because of its popularity, I wanted to hone in on young adult fantasy that contained diverse cultures and characters. I purposely chose novels that contained characters of color, LGBTQ+ characters, and books that contained cultural mythology (i.e. The Star-Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi is based on Hindu mythology). When I was growing up, most of the fantasy that I had access to was “white-washed” and didn’t contain much diversity or diverse characters. Looking back, it saddens me that there wasn’t much representation in the books published then, but it is very exciting to see how much the young adult fantasy market is expanding to include characters of color, cultures, and sexualities.

Google Sites is my platform of choice. I researched a few sites, including Wordpress, Wix, Weebly, and Blogger, but Blogger didn’t format to my liking and the other sites weren’t as easy to navigate and manipulate as Google Sites. Because of it is user friendly, I believe that Google Sites is a platform that librarians can use that is easy to update and maintain. Another benefit of using Google Sites is that there is an option for the creator to give permission to other users to edit the contents of the website. This will allow other library staff members to help maintain the site, freeing up the head librarian for emergencies or higher priorities.

This thematic resource guide was made in order to give young adults a database that they can refer to when they want diverse book recommendations. The Google Site is streamlined and not overly busy, so it is easy for users to navigate and gain information about young adult fantasy books and authors. Because this is geared toward more diverse literature, I think it will be a motivation for library users to check out these books. Now that they have a database they can reference, that will continue to grow, they can add these books to their “to- be- read” lists. The books in this guide cover a variety of representation, which is important for young adults. It is important for them to read books with characters that come from their culture or their race. It is important for them to read books with homosexual, bisexual, or gender fluid characters. Not only do these books give readers relatable characters in which they can find comfort, but they also expose readers to differing viewpoints and ways of life. They push readers outside their worlds and comfort zones as well as build empathy for others. These books show young adults that they matter, that their culture matters, and that they deserve to be in the spotlight.

Overall I really enjoyed this assignment. Not only was it fun, but I learned a lot about diverse authors and books in the young adult fantasy genre. I am excited to share this knowledge and these amazing works and authors with others, particularly the patrons of my future public or school library. I plan on continuing to maintain this site or possibly expand to a larger site in the future because I do believe that librarians and library users need easily accessible databases that feature diverse literature.

You can view my database here.



0 comments:

Post a Comment