Wednesday, July 12, 2017

"The Space Between"

“If you only get one chance at happiness, you have to decide what you're willing to live with, and what you can live without.”
- The Space Between
by Michelle L. Teichman
 
 
 
My college poetry professor taught us to avoid clichés. However, she also exposed us to poems that used clichés in a new way because the poet "earned them." I feel that way about this book. Michelle Teichman's The Space Between centers around popular girl, Harper, and social outcast, Sarah, and it is an LGBTQ contemporary YA romance.
 
When I first started reading this book, I felt like it had a few clichés and that it dragged a little at first. It was a pleasant surprise that I quickly dismissed these things once I got more into the story and was drawn into the relationships between the characters. Overall, this was a sweet book, and the ending was what made the author earn all of her clichés. The story reminds you that as a teenager, everything feels permanent and larger than life. Teichman does a great job of showing and explaining the emotions and internal thoughts of the girls. I feel that this book is vital because it explores important LGBTQ issues and the conflict of learning who you are and accepting yourself.
 
Check it out!
 
 
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment