Wednesday, October 17, 2018

P.S. I Still Love You


P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han - ⭐⭐⭐

Description from the Publisher

Given the way love turned her heart in the New York Times bestselling To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before, which SLJ called a “lovely, lighthearted romance,” it’s no surprise that Lara Jean still has letters to write.

Lara Jean didn’t expect to really fall for Peter.

She and Peter were just pretending. Except suddenly they weren’t. Now Lara Jean is more confused than ever.

When another boy from her past returns to her life, Lara Jean’s feelings for him return too. Can a girl be in love with two boys at once?

In this charming and heartfelt sequel to the New York Times bestseller To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, we see first love through the eyes of the unforgettable Lara Jean. Love is never easy, but maybe that’s part of makes it so amazing.

Awards: 
  • APALA Asian/Pacific American Awards for Literature
  • Bank Street Best Children's Book of the Year Selection Title
  • CBC Children's Choice Book Award Finalist
  • ILA Young Adults' Choices
  • Kansas State Reading Circle List High School Title

My Review

Page Count: 352 pages/8hrs., 59 mins. 
Genre: YA Romance, YA Contemporary
Series: To All the Boys I've Loved Before

I listened to the audiobook on Scribd for the first half of the book. I really enjoy Laura Knight Keating's narration style. She really captures the voice of Lara Jean. This was a quick, easy read, and the story was cute. The plot of the story centers around the aftermath of a whirlwind romance, which doesn't happen too often in contemporary novels. 

This is a sweet, fluffy contemporary, so I didn't go into it thinking it would be a fantastic, five-star book. It definitely would appeal more to teenagers, and Lara Jean is so innocent that you love her and get irritated with her naivety at the same time. The family dynamic is wonderful to read about, though. I really enjoyed reading about a family headed by a single father, and the relationships between the father and his daughters is really beautiful and reminds me of my relationship with my dad. The Song sisters are supportive of each other, confide in each other, and have a strong relationship. 

I wasn't a fan of Peter in the first book, but I was ok with the way it ended. However, Peter really got on my nerves in this story, and I wanted Lara Jean to break up with him and go with the other love interest that was introduced in this book. Peter comes across as the typical jock jerk and, even though he and Lara Jean promised to be open and honest with each other, he hid a lot. I REALLY liked the love interest introduced in this book, but I do think that he was "overly good" compared to Peter, who is definitely depicted as more of a jerk. That being said, I still want Lara Jean to dump Peter. I think I would like him more if he were written in a way that better suited Lara Jean. 

Even though there is a lot of roller coaster relationships and drama in this book, it came across as authentic because they are teenagers. Kitty became kind of a kick-butt girl in this novel, and I really enjoyed her character growth. Lara Jean also grew a lot in this book. I cannot wait to read the next book. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment