Wednesday, October 10, 2018

On Thin Icing


On Thin Icing by Ellie Alexander - ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Description from the Publisher

Welcome to Torte-a small-town family bakeshop where the treats are killer good.

It's the dead of winter in the sleepy town of Ashland, which means no tourists-and fewer customers-for Jules Capshaw and her bakery. But when she's asked to cater an off-season retreat for the directors of the Oregon Shakespeare Festival, business starts heating up...until Jules finds a dead body in the freezer.

"An intriguing new series."-Reader to Reader


Someone at the retreat has apparently iced the bartender, a well-known flirt with a legendary temper-that is, before a killer beat him to the punch. Then, from out of nowhere, Jules's own ex-husband shows up at the shop-and soon becomes a suspect. With accusations piling up higher than the snow-and thicker than a chocolate mousse cake-Jules has to think outside the (recipe) box to find the real culprit...and make sure he gets his just desserts.

My Review
Page Count: 
Genre: Cozy Mystery
Series: The Bakeshop Mystery Series

Ellie Alexander has become one of my favorite cozy mystery authors. I really love her characters, and she has painted a very vivid picture of Ashland, Oregon and Torte. I didn't find this one as predictable as other cozy mysteries. This book was more relationship centered than the first two Bakeshop Mysteries, but I really didn't mind that. 

However, despite how much I loved this book, I was not a huge fan of the underlying Carlos plot. I wanted there to be more tension, even though I do think that this will be played out more in the next book or two. Carlos also seems like the stereotypical, almost perfect, Latin lover. Everything he does is sensual or romantic, and everyone likes him. I would enjoy Carlos more if he had more flaws so that he would seem like more of a real person. There is some controversy that is touched on, but we don't really get the full story. 

One bone I had to pick with this plot is that the murder occurs outside of Ashland, Oregon; however, the Ashland detectives, Thomas and the Professor, are the ones who show up and handle the case. This wasn't realistic for me because technically it seems like a jurisdictional issue. This could easily be addressed with a small explanation within the story. 

Even though I had a few critiques, I really did enjoy On Thin Icing. It was a fast, light-hearted read, and I am looking forward to diving straight into the next book, Caught Bread Handed!


0 comments:

Post a Comment